8 WEEKS • LIVE ONLINE • INSTRUCTOR-LEAD • SKILL-FOCUSED
Stylized Characters In 3D
In Session - Spring Enrollment Open October 1st.
CLASSES MEET EVERY TUESDAY @ 9AM PACIFIC
Learn The Workflows To Develop A 3D Stylized Character.
Learn how to apply practical workflows to create stylized characters in 3D with one of the Industry’s leading artist, Yulia Sokolova. Yulia has been working as a character artist for more than 9 years and is currently working on several game projects at Digital Sun Games and NineZyme Entertainment.
Yulia will teach you the workflows for how to create a stylized character, from concept to final presentation. You will learn all the steps in the pipeline and understand how to bring your favorite concepts to life.
This course on Stylized Characters In 3D will consist of nine modules of recorded lessons and live Q&A sessions. You’ll learn core character sculpting and modeling skills and workflows and be part of a community of artists working to achieve next level quality in their work.
What You’ll Learn
The course will go through the full process of sculpting and modeling a stylized character in 3D. The emphasis will be on moving through all stages of the pipeline, moving from concept to block out the main shapes, refining the silhouette, modeling the clothing, UV mapping, baking, texturing, posing the character and rendering for final presentation. Students will learn how to get the most out of the various tools to get the best results.
By the end of the course, students will learn how to model a stylized character in 3D. They should also have gained knowledge on how to troubleshoot new problems or tasks.
By The End Of The Course
- Know the principles for blocking out a stylized character.
- Know the workflow for posing and presenting your character.
- Have mastered your way through the stylized character pipeline.
- Have created your own 3D Stylized Character.
Choosing A Stylized Character Concept & Blocking Out The Main Shapes
- Choosing A Concept
- Character Stylization Fundamentals
(Proportions, Shapes, Lines, & Silhouette)
- Making A Block Out Of The Main Shapes In ZBrush
High Poly Blockout: Body & Hands
- Sculpting The Body From A Functional Base
- Sculpting The Hands
- Cleaning Up The Silhouette And Main Shapes
Sculpting The Head, Face & Hair
- Blocking Out The Head
- Sculpting An Appealing Face
- Modeling The Hair
Modeling The Clothes & Props
- Blocking Out The Clothes
- Refining Large Shapes, Adding Minor Details
- Using ZModeler For Hard Surface / Prop Modeling
Retopology, UV Mapping & Real-Time Low Poly Creation In Maya
- Managing The High Poly And Exporting It From ZBrush
- Using Quad Draw And Other Maya Retopology Tools
- Creating Clean Topology From Scratch, Adjusting The Existing Topology From ZBrush
UV Mapping & Baking
- UV Mapping, Texture Sets, UV Packing
- Preparing The Model For Baking In Maya
- Creating Clean Bakes In Substance Painter, Fixing The Maps In Photoshop
Texturing & Painting In Substance Painter
- Painting In Substance Painter
- Using Baked Lighting
- Working with PBR Materials
Posing, Rendering & Final Presentation In Marmoset Toolbag
- Using Mixamo and ZBrush for Simple Posing/Rigging
- Setting The Scene, Lights & Materials In Marmoset Toolbag
- Rendering & Post-Processing In Marmoset Toolbag
Yulia Sokolova is a Russian 2D/3D Character Artist, currently based in Spain. She started her career in gamedev as an artist in social network games back in 2010 and developed her skills further, working with Disney, SEGA, Adobe, Envato and other companies to create appealing stylized characters and whimsy illustrations for games, animation and mobile applications.
At the moment, Yulia is working on several game projects designing character models at Digital Sun Games and creating character concepts and models for the upcoming adventure game at NineZyme Entertainment.